Depression can get a hold of you and not let go, making your life a total misery. Start taking the initiative when you feel the blues coming on, by being proactive about your outlook and healthy activities. Use the following suggestions to help.
1. Start eating better. When you make the effort to eat well, you’re telling yourself that you’re worthwhile! Make a list of your favorite healthy foods and go grocery shopping. Plan your meals for a week and get yourself something extra special. This will give you things to look forward to every day and it will also be nice to say hello to the familiar faces at the store.
2. Put yourself on a workout schedule. Particularly if you are more depressed at one point in the day over another, try fitting in some healthy exercise. You will get mood-boosting endorphins flowing and increase your self-esteem! Also, once you’re finished, you can be proud that you did something really good for yourself, despite your depression.
3. Get plenty of rest. Sleep is important for everyone, but more so for those feeling blue. Go to bed and get up at the same time as much as possible, to keep your body in a good rhythm. Also, make sure your bedroom is conducive to a relaxed state and suited to your liking. Keep it dark if that’s how you sleep best and enjoy some soothing nature sounds as you fall asleep.
4. Set a goal to reach every day. Even the smallest of accomplishments can give you the biggest of feelings, so give yourself something to reach for when you start each new day. If possible, make a goal or two that involves doing something for others, as this is the surest way to helping yourself! Write your goal down, and then cross it off once you’ve achieved it.
5. Mix and mingle. Although it may be the last thing you feel like doing when you’re depressed, being around other people is best for you. Listen to them talk about their lives and try to laugh right along with them. If they happen to know you well enough, they will notice that something is amiss and try really hard to improve your mood, and that can go a long way in helping you!
6. Plug-away through your feelings. Even just going through the motions is better than wallowing in a state of depression. Fake it until you make it if you have to, just don’t accept defeat when you feel overwhelmed by negative emotions. Go to work and take care of errands and see if the act of pretending like everything is alright will make you feel that way.
7. Keep stress at bay. Avoid stressful people or activities when you’re down with depression, as stress is one of the worst things to add to it. Treat yourself with extra respect and TLC during this time, and it should work to get you feeling better much faster.
When depression grips you, you need to fight back fast! Use these tips and seek professional help if your situation worsens or lasts too long. You are worth feeling happy and enjoying life!